Score: Roanoke 0, Virginia Wesleyan 3
Records: Roanoke 14-15 / 6-6 ODAC | Va. Wesleyan 26-7 / 10-2 ODAC
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
The Lead: RC made the trip to Virginia Beach to face Va. Wesleyan in the quarterfinal round of the 2019 ODAC Volleyball Championships on Wednesday night. The Marlins defeated the Maroons, 3-0, to advance in the championship tournament.
How it Happed:
- Va. Wesleyan raced out to a 5-0 start and pushed their advantage to as many as eight (18-10) in the opening frame. RC mounted a rally when Linsey Bailey took the ball and helped serve Roanoke to four straight points to close the gap. The two long-time ODAC foes would trade the next two points before a final VWU run would close out the set and give the Marlins a 1-0 lead.
- Wesleyan would out-hit the Maroons .212 to .091 during the first game of the match.
- After starting the set 1-1, RC would commit four attack errors during a 7-0 surge by the Marlins. Virginia Wesleyan would not allow Roanoke to make any sort of rally as they stretched out the lead to double digits and closed out the set to increase their advantage to 2-0.
- The third stanza would once again see the home team pull away early, 6-1. However, RC would not go down without a fight. After Avery Wolff set up Bailey for a kill, the Marlins committed an attack error and Bailey's service ace would tie the set at 16-16.
- The third game would be tied two more times before Meghan Wood served the final five points of the match as the Marlins advanced with the 3-0 win.
- Bailey finished the match with 11 kills, 13 digs, and a pair of service aces. Parker Moody would add eight kills and a block.
- Kennedy Clemmer registered 13 digs while four Maroons combined for 26 assists.