Score: Roanoke 0 | Emory 3 (21-25, 14-25, 14-25)
Records: Maroons 12-11 | Eagles 21-1
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
The Lead: The Roanoke College volleyball team headed south to Atlanta for two matches on the first day of the Emory University Invitational. The Maroons fell to the host before dropping a five set match to St. Mary's (Ind.).
How it happened:
- Roanoke started the match against the #3 Eagles by using a 6-1 run to take a 9-4 advantage. RC would hold the lead until an Emory rally tied the opening set at 15-15. The home team would close out the frame by taking 10 of the final 16 points for the 1-0 edge.
- Set number two would see the Eagles enjoy a 4-1 lead before an eight to two surge would push their advantage to 12-3. Roanoke would close the gap for a moment, but the Eagles would not allow the Maroons to get back into the set thanks to a 15-7 edge in kills, taking a 2-0 lead.
- With all the momentum on the side of the nationally ranked Emory squad, the Eagles would continue to control the net with a 14-3 kill advantage, would go on to close out the match, 25-14.
- The final tally would see Emory hold a 40-21 kill edge. Linsey Bailey paced Roanoke with eight kills while Parker Moody added five.
- Logan Pasley and Olivia Newman combined to assist on 13 of the team's 21 kills.
Score: Roanoke 2 | Saint Mary's (Ind.) 3 (25-22, 25-23, 22-25, 15-25, 6-15)
Records: Maroons 12-12 | Belles 11-14
How it happened:
- RC would stay on the court after falling to Emory and used their previous match to race out to a 4-1 start. The Belles would come back to tie the set at 4-4 and the two teams would swap the lead until the score was tied at 20-20. RC would close the set with four kills and a St. Mary's attack error to claim the opener 25-22.
- The Maroons would opened the second set with a 9-0 run. A rally by Saint MAry's would close the gap but RC would hold on for a 2-0 lead.
- As Roanoke looked to put the match away, the Belles began to seize control of play. The Maroons once again enjoyed an early advantage, however, St. MAry's would use a mid-set 6-2 run to take the lead into the final stages of the frame. A Telia Harris kill would make it 22-24 before Nicole Lukens secured the final point and the Belles closed to within 2-1.
- Saint Mary's would open up a big lead in the fourth set, 20-10, and cruise to the match tying fourth set win.
- With all the momentum, the Belles opened up a 7-3 edge when the two teams changed ends of the floor. Roanoke was unable to close the gap and a 4-0 run put the match away for St. Mary's.
- Bailey had a match high 23 kills with Moody adding 13 and Harris 12. Kennedy Clemmer registered a match high 30 digs in the back row while Newman handed out 37 assists.
Up next: Roanoke will wrap up play tomorrow when they face off with Susquehanna at 11:00am.