Score: No. 4 Virginia Wesleyan 3, No. 5 Roanoke 0 (22-25, 27-29, 16-25)
Records: Roanoke 17-10, Virginia Wesleyan 16-11
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
The Lead: Fourth-seeded Virginia Wesleyan topped fifth-seeded Roanoke 3-0 in the Quarterfinals of the 2018 ODAC Volleyball Tournament.
How it Happened
- The score was tied at 18 in the first set before kills from Angel Ross and Kelsey Goodman put RC out in front 20-18.
- VWU scored four straight points to take a 22-20 advantage. A kill by Linsey Bailey made it 22-21, but the Marlins scored three of the last four points to take the set.
- With the score 8-7 early in the second set, VWU went on an 8-2 run to take a 16-9 lead. RC responded with a 10-2 run of its own, pushing ahead 19-18 on a kill by Sydney Daniel.
- The score was tied at 20-20 and from that point on neither team was able to take more than a one-point lead before VWU capitalized on an attack error by RC and then got a kill from Doneisha Hall to take the set 29-27.
- In set three, the two teams found themselves tied at 10. VWU went on an 8-2 run to take an 18-12 lead. RC would cut its deficit to four at 20-16, but that is as close as it would get as the Marlins rattled off the final five points to take the match.
- Bailey finished with 16 kills and 15 digs, while Daniel had 10 kills and 12 digs. Tori Clinevell and Goodman each had 12 digs, while Olivia Newman had 11 digs to go along with 31 assists.