Score: Roanoke 3 | Southern Virginia 1 (25-17, 26-24, 25-23, 27-25)
Records: Roanoke 12-6, Southern Virginia 10-5
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke defeated Southern Virginia in a four-set battle Friday night in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Linsey Bailey led the way with a career-high 25 kills and 26 digs. Sydney Daniel followed with 14 kills and 11 digs while Olivia Newman dished out 46 assists.
- Southern Virginia was led by Hailey Lohnes with 15 kills and 19 digs. Ella Burrows had eight blocks on the night as the Knights tallied 22 as a team.
- Roanoke used a 7-1 run late in the first set to break away with 24-16 lead following a kill from Angel Ross. Daniel registered back-to-back kills for the 20th and 21st points of the run.
- Trailing 11-7 in the second set, the Maroons won the next six points to close the gap and take a 13-11 edge after a Daniel ace.
- SVU used a 5-1 run to tie the game at 18-18. After back and forth scoring in the final points, Roanoke pulled away with the extra-point win that was capped by a Knight error and a kill from Daniel.
- In set three, the Maroons erased an 18-15 SVU lead winning six of the next seven points, headed by Bailey with four kills, to take a 21-19 lead. SVU won the next three points to make it 22-21 before pulling away with the set win following a pair of Roanoke errors.
- In the fourth set, Roanoke took five straight points, sparked by a kill from by Bailey, to take the lead at 17-15. RC went on to extend the lead to 21-16 following another kill from Bailey.
- Southern Virginia brought it within one to force extra points before Ross and Bailey registered back-to-back kills to secure the win.
Up Next: The Maroons travel to Shenandoah on Oct. 11 for a 7 p.m. ODAC match.