Roanoke 3, Averett 0 (25-21, 25-22, 25-17)
Roanoke 3, Randolph 0 (25-12, 25-22, 25-15)
Location: Danville, Va. | Cougar Classic
The Lead: Roanoke closed out the Cougar Classic on Saturday with a pair of wins including a victory over host and regional power Averett. RC also defeated ODAC member Randolph as well.
How it Happened:
- RC topped Averett 3-0 behind 12 kills from all-tournament team choice Linsey Bailey and nine kills from Sydney Daniel. Olivia Newman dished out 23 assists in the win as well.
- Daniel notched a team-high 11 digs in the win, while Tori Clinevell added 10.
- Game one was tight at the outset with the teams tied at 11-11 before RC reeled off five straight points to take a 16-11 lead.
- With the score tied at 20, RC got back-to-back kills from Daniel and Bailey to take a two point lead.
- AU cut the RC lead to 22-21, but the Maroons would score the final three points to take game one.
- Game two was tight throughout with the teams finding themselves tied at 19-19 before RC went on a 4-1 run to take a 23-20 lead.
- AU scored the next two points to cut it to 23-22 but a Daniel kill and then a service ace by Daniel closed out the game.
- In game three, RC led 19-17 and closed out the match with sixth straight points, including an ace from Kelsey Goodman to take the match.
- In the victory over Randolph, Daniel led three Maroons in double-digit kills with 16. Bailey and Parker Moody had 11 and 10 kills, respectively.
- In game one, RC used a 9-0 run to take a 16-4 lead as the Maroons would coast to a 25-12 win.
- RC went up 23-15 in game two following a Daniel kill. Randolph ran off six straight points to make it 23-21 but kills by Daniel and Moody helped RC secure the win.
- Roanoke led 10-5 in game three before scoring 10 of the next 14 points to take a 20-9 advantage as it went on to secure the match.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Wednesday when it travels to Meredith for a 7:00 p.m. match.