Score: Virginia Wesleyan 3, Roanoke 2 | 25-23, 22-25, 28-26, 28-30, 12-15
Records: Roanoke 9-16, Virginia Wesleyan 19-9
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
The Lead: No. 3 Virginia Wesleyan held off No. 6 Roanoke in a thrilling 3-2 ODAC Volleyball Quarterfinal match.
How it Happened
- Meagan Smith had 18 kills for RC, while Sydney Daniel and Alex Wolfe each had 14. Christen Zammit had 55 assists. Kylah Blackmore had nine kills to go along with 30 digs. Olivia Earls had 38 digs for the Maroons as well.
- Amber Matalus had 16 kills for Virginia Wesleyan. Emilee Pierson dished out 32 assists for the Marlins and Allison Mackley had 35 digs.
- In the first set, RC was down 22-16 before scoring seven of the next eight points to tie the game on 23-23 on a Wolfe kill. Earls delivered an ace to put RC up 24-23 and then won the set on an attacking error by VWU.
- Game two was back and forth before a VWU error and a Logan Graves kill put RC up 21-20, but the Marlins rallied and scored five of the final six points to even the match.
- In game three, it was 21-21 before the Marlins reeled off three points to take a 24-21 lead. RC rallied, tying the game at 24-24 on a Graves kill. With the score tied at 26, the Maroons got kills from Smith and Blackmore to give RC the set and a 2-1 advantage.
- Game four was another tight one with a Daniel kill making it 26-26. VWU took a 28-27 lead, but another Daniel kill tied the set. An error on RC and then a Pierson ace secured the set win for the Marlins.
- Neither team was able to open up more than a two-point lead in game five before VWU got back-to-back kills to win the game and the match.
Roanoke closes the season with a 9-16 record.