Score: Averett 3 | Roanoke 0
Records: Roanoke 9-11 | Averett 21-2
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke fell in straight sets to Averett Thursday night in Salem to close out the regular-season home slate.
How it Happened:
- Kylah Blackmore tallied a game-high 14 kills while Ryan Hedgpeth had 18 digs and Christen Zammit dished out 30 assists.
- Averett was led by Sarah Smoot with 13 kills and Brianna Williams with 11 as the Cougars hit .258 on the night.
- With the score 14-11 in favor of Roanoke in set one, Averett won the next eight points of the set, capped by a kill from Lynsey Corriher to take a 19-14 lead.
- The Cougars took an early 10-5 lead in the second set following a 7-1 run sparked by a Roanoke service error. A kill from Alex Wolfe sparked a 4-0 run as the Maroons closed the gap to 23-21, but a Cougar kill ended the set to give AU a 2-0 advantage.
- Roanoke used a 6-1 run to tie the final set at 13-13 following a Sydney Daniel kill. Averett responded winning six of the next seven points to take a 19-14 lead before an RC attacking error secured the win for the Cougars.
- Tonight's game was Roanoke's Dig Pink game. Dig Pink is The Side-Out Foundation's October event that brings together volleyball players across the nation to raise funds for breast cancer research, demonstrate the power of teamwork, and show support for people with the disease.
Up Next: Roanoke hits the road for the remainder of the regular-season. The Maroons face Washington and Lee on Oct. 20 for a 6:30 p.m. match-up in Lexington.