Score: Virginia Wesleyan 3 | Roanoke 2 | 25-20, 20-25, 23-25, 25-21, 15-17
Records: Roanoke 6-8 / 2-2 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 8-5 / 3-1 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va. | Family Weekend
The Lead: RC Volleyball fell in a five-set battle with Virginia Wesleyan Saturday afternoon during Family Weekend.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke used a 5-0 run started by a kill from Logan Graves to take control of the first set at the 18-12 mark.
- In set two, Virginia Wesleyan broke away from a 5-5 tie with a 6-2 run capped by a kill from Doneisha Hall. Roanoke closed the gap to four with a kill from Alex Wolfe but was unable to take the lead.
- With RC trailing 12-9 in set three, Roanoke won the next five straight points highlighted by four Marlin errors to take the lead 13-12. With six ties down the stretch in game three, Virginia Wesleyan used back-to-back kills to take a 2-1 advantage in the match.
- With a 12-8 advantage in set four, RC won the next five points, highlighted by a kill from Kylah Blackmore to make it 16-8 Roanoke. Sydney Daniel then secured the 25-21 win with an ace to even the match at 2-2.
- In a fifth set that featured 11 ties, Virginia Wesleyan won the final two points capped by a kill from Hall to take the match.
- Blackmore tallied a game-high 20 kills to go with 37 digs. Meagan Smith followed with 16 kills and Ryan Hedgpeth with 33 digs. Christen Zammit dished out 37 assists on the day.
- The Marlins were led by Hall with 15 kills and Elizabeth Britton with 14 kills. Allison Mackley recorded a game-high 48 digs.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to action on Monday with a 7 p.m. match-up with Southern Virginia in the Cregger Center.