Score: Roanoke 3 | Randolph 1 (28-30, 25-15, 25-21, 25-21)
Records: Roanoke 2-2 | Randolph 0-3
Location: Cougar Classic | Danville, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke defeated Randolph 3-1 after falling 3-0 to host Averett in the final day of the Cougar Classic in Danville, Va.
How it Happened:
- After dropping the first set in extra points, Roanoke jumped out to an 8-0 lead in set two highlighted by a pair of aces from Christen Zammit.
- The WildCats brought it within one at the 11-10 mark but the Maroons broke away with a 7-2 run capped by back-to-back errors from Randolph. Graves secured the win with the final kill of the set.
- In the third set, RC used an 8-1 run with to take a 17-13 advantage with kills from Kylah Blackmore, Ryan Hedgpeth and Logan Graves.
- With the score tied 4-4 in the final set, Roanoke won the next four points sparked by a kill from Meagan Smith to take a 8-4 edge.
- RC then used a 7-1 run with a trio of aces from Olivia Earls to make a 18-7 advantage and force a Randolph timeout.
- Randolph brought it within one but Roanoke capitalized on three straight WildCats errors in the final three plays to take the match.
- Roanoke was led by Blackmore with 12 kills and 12 digs, while Hedgpeth tallied 22 digs and Zammit had 24 assists. For Randolph, Autumn Troxwell recorded 15 kills and Kennedy Webb tallied 23 digs.
Score: Roanoke 0 | Averett 3 (25-20, 25-10, 25-14)
Records: Averett 3-0 | Roanoke 1-2
Location: Courgar Classic | Danville, Va.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke was led by Blackmore with eight kills, Hedgpeth with eight digs and Emerson Kern with 13 assists.
- For the Cougars, Hannah Shields had a game-high 12 kills while McKenzie Miler had 14 assists and Keenan Marks had 16.
- Averett hit .373 in the match while Roanoke hit .105 as a team. The Maroons held a 8-7 edge in blocks, headed by Smith and Graves each with two.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts Mary Baldwin, Piedmont, Ferrum and Salem in the Maroon Classic Sept. 8-9 in the Cregger Center.