Score: Roanoke 2, Lynchburg 1
Records: Roanoke 11-3-1 / 5-1-0 ODAC | Lynchburg 9-4-1 / 4-2-0 ODAC
Location: Lynchburg, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke scored a pair of goals in the second-half to top rival Lynchburg 2-1 on Saturday evening. It's the first win for Roanoke over Lynchburg since 2007.
How it Happened
- The first 45 minutes of the match were scoreless with Roanoke holding a slim 5-3 edge in shots.
- Lynchburg was able to crack the scoreboard first when just under 11 minutes into the second-half, Natalya Rodriguez and Sarah Barnes set up Amanda Wigboldy for the first goal of the match.
- The match stayed that way until the 69th minute when Hailey Davis evened things with an unassisted strike that made it 1-1.
- The Maroons got what proved to be the game-winner in the 77th minute when Emma Woods assisted Kathryn Van Orden for her fourth goal of the year and gave RC a 2-1 edge.
- The Maroon defense made the lead hold up, allowing the Hornets to get off four shots in the final 13 minutes with Chris Martin making two saves and the other two being blocked.
- Martin finished with seven saves, including five in the decisive second-half. Caitlin Dorsch had three stops for Lynchburg.
- Lynchburg led 13-12 in shots, while each team had six corner kicks.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Wednesday when it hosts No. 15 Washington and Lee at 7:00 p.m.