Score: #3 Roanoke 21, #6 Virginia Wesleyan 6
Records: Roanoke 12-6 | Virginia Wesleyan 8-9
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Third-seeded Roanoke scored a 21-6 win over sixth-seeded Virginia Wesleyan in the Quarterfinals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament on Wednesday.
How it Happened
- Roanoke scored three goals in less than four minutes to start the game with a Lilly Blair strike making it 3-0 at the 26:39 mark.
- Following back-to-back goals by VWU cut it to 3-2, Jenna Kuczo scored to spark what proved to be a 7-0 run by the Maroons that was capped by a Katie Clements goal with 13:51 to go in the first half that made it a 10-2 game.
- With the score 11-4 RC, Roanoke reeled off five goals in the final 6:57 of the half with a Blair goal with 1:06 left pushing ahead 16-4.
- RC would then score the first four goals of the second half capped by a Jenn Schwechheimer goal making it 20-4 with 16 minutes to play.
- Schwechheimer finished with five goals, while Ellie Armstrong and Blair each had four. Carly Schoudel had three saves for RC.
- Abby Shope had two goals for VWU, while AJ Adan had five saves and Mike Hairston had four.
- RC held a 38-14 edge in shots and won 24 of 28 draw controls led by Lainey Decker with 11 and Clements with eight.
Up Next: Roanoke will face second-seeded Randolph-Macon on Saturday in the semifinals at Washington and Lee. Time is to be determined.