Score: St. Mary's (Md.) 16, Roanoke 11
Records: Roanoke 6-3 | St. Mary's (Md.) 6-3
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: A late second-half spurt helped St. Mary's (Md.) pull away from Roanoke 16-11 on Saturday in women's lacrosse action.
How it Happened:
- A back-and-forth first-half saw neither team able to open up more than a one-goal advantage before Kate Barholomew scored for St. Mary's to make it 8-7 SMC with 4:50 to play. Jayne Barkman tallied a goal 25 seconds later to make it a 9-7 game in the first.
- That would be the score through halftime and until the 23:10 mark of the second-half when Hannah Taylor scored for RC to cut it to 9-8.
- The score stayed that way until there was 12:27 left on the clock and Lucy Gussio scored the first of four unanswered goals for the Seahawks who would take a 13-8 lead following a Sydni Thacker goal with 8:23 to go in the game.
- RC's Lilly Blair scored back-to-back goals then Ellie Armstrong scored to make it 13-11 with 4:12 to play.
- That would be as close as RC would get as SMC scored three times in a 1:17 span to put the game away.
- Blair led RC with five goals. Jenn Schwechheimer had two goals and three assists and Armstrong had two goals and a pair of assists. Carly Schoudel made 12 saves for RC.
- Bartholomew had four goals, while Thacker, Ali Collie and Lucy Gussio each had three. Emma Brown made five stops in the cage for SMC.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back on the field Saturday at 3:00 p.m. at Randolph-Macon.