Score: No. 4 Mary Washington 19, Roanoke 7
Records: Roanoke 6-2, Mary Washington 7-1
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
The Lead: No. 4 Mary Washington defeated Roanoke 19-7 in non-conference Women's Lacrosse action.
How it Happened:
- Lilly Blair gave Roanoke an early 1-0 lead with a goal, assisted by Jenn Schwechheimer, just 1:05 into the contest.
- Mary Washington then used a 6-0 run over the next 10 minutes to break ahead 6-1 following a goal from Julia Albert with 18:30 left in the first half.
- Katie Clements scored twice off free position goals, with her 10:03 strike making it an 8-3 game in favor of UMW.
- Albert scored back-to-back goals to give the Eagles a 10-3 edge heading into the intermission.
- Mary Washington used a 4-1 run to open the second half with two goals coming from Allison Davis to take a 14-4 lead.
- Ellie Armstrong scored on a man-up situation with 16:29 left in regulation to make it 14-5.
- Armstrong rounded out Roanoke's scoring with a strike off a pass from Schwechheimer in the final eight minutes to pull it within 16-7.
- Schwechheimer had two goals and two assists to lead the Maroons, while Clements and Armstrong both added two goals each. Carly Schoudel made six saves in goal for the Maroons.
- For UMW, three goalies combined for the win with Hanna Ashby recording a team-high six saves in 40 minutes. Davis and Albery both recorded a game-high five goals for the Eagles.
- Both teams won 14 draw controls on the day while Mary Washington held a 28-20 edge in shots.
Up Next: Women's Lacrosse plays St. Mary's (Md.) on Saturday, March 23 at 2 p.m. in Salem.