Score: Roanoke 69 | Randolph-Macon 68
Records: Maroons 4-1, 2-0 ODAC | Yellow Jackets 1-4, 0-2 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: After defeating Randolph college in their conference opener, the Maroons looked to go 2-0 to start the ODAC schedule against Randolph-Macon. RC took a double digit lead before the Yellow Jackets came all the way back to lead with 30 seconds to go. Roanoke converted out of a timeout and after the last second shot missed its mark, the Maroons picked up the ODAC win, 69-68.
How it Happened:
- Macon would score the opening hoop, but Roanoke would respond to score 13 of the next 17 to seize control. Molly Hassell hit her second 3 pointer of the period and after Ayanna Scarborough made a jumper, the Maroons would hold a 20-11 edge after one quarter of play.
- Whitney Hopson would convert a three-point play to start the second frame, giving Roanoke their largest lead of the night. The Maroons would hold the double-digit lead until the final three minutes of the first half.
- The Yellow Jackets scored seven straight in a two minute span to make it 29-26. Rose Sande connected from beyond the arc to close out the half and give RC a six point edge at the break.
- The home team began to slowly re-build their lead and after a Morgan Micallef jumper, the lead was back to 12 (41-29). However, RMC would close the quarter by out-scoring Roanoke 17-10, making it a two possession game heading into the final period of play.
- With 6:33 left, Kristina Harrel made a layup to push the RC lead back to 10. An 11-2 surge by Macon made it just a two point spread with 3:00 remaining. The Yellow Jackets continued to attack the basket and thanks in part to 16-23 second half shooting from the free throw line, took their first lead of the game with 2:47 to go.
- The two long-time ODAC rivals would trade the lead back and forth until another Harrel free throw knotted the score at 67-67. Kelly Williams was fouled after a RMC timeout and made one of two for the slimmest of leads.
- Coach Flaherty took a timeout and advanced the ball into the frontcourt with 31 ticks on the clock. Hopson drive the ball hard down the right side of the lane and sent a perfect feed to Sande for a go-ahead layup.
- The Yellow Jackets, out of timeouts, pushed the ball up the court and got a good look in the closing seconds, but the jump shot missed the mark as the buzzer sounded.
- For the second straight game, Harrel eclipsed the 20 point mark with a game high 21. Hassell and Sande each netted 11 while Renee Alquiza grabbed 10 rebounds. Hassell and Hopson would combine for 11 of the Maroons 19 assists as a trio of players would each add a blocked shot.
Up next: RC will have a few days off for the holiday before returning to ODAC action next Wednesday when they travel to, ODAC preseason #1, Guilford College for a 7pm tip.
Watch: Coach Flaherty's post game comments...