Score: Roanoke 82 | Mary Baldwin 57
Records: Maroons 3-1 | Squirrels 3-2
Location: Staunton, Va.
The Lead: In the middle of two ODAC home games, the women's basketball team stepped out of conference when they traveled to Mary Baldwin on Saturday. Roanoke used an early surge to seize control and cruised to a non-conference victory.
How it Happened:
- Mary Baldwin got things started with a pair of free throws before RC took control thanks in part to a 7-0 spurt that culminated with a Kristina Harrel three point play.
- The Maroons hit 10 of 20 first quarter shots while their defense held the home team to just 1-9 from the field. If not for the free throw line (9-15) the Squirrels would have been held to just two points in the opening 10 minutes of play.
- An 11-4 run to start the second frame allowed RC to push their advantage to 19 points with 6:23 left in the first half. After a Molly Hassell steal led to a three point field goal by Morgan Micallef, Roanoke took a 22 point lead into the half.
- RC kept the pressure on throughout the third period and after a three by Sayre Brandstatter the lead had reached 30.
- Mary Baldwin would win the fourth quarter, but in the end Roanoke had gone on the road for their second consecutive win.
- Harrel led all scorers with 22 points. Corinne McPadden and Rose Sande would register double-doubles. McPadden got the start, finishing with 10 and 10 while Sande would come off the bench to score 12 and grab a game high 14 boards.
- Whitney Hopson and Kayla Kinsler each handed out three assists with Hassel picking up a pair of steals.
Up next: The Maroons will be back in ODAC action on Tuesday night when they host Randolph-Macon at 6:00pm.