Score: #7 Roanoke 73, #2 Emory & Henry 72
Records: Roanoke 18-9 | Emory & Henry 23-3
Location: Salem, Va. | Salem Civic Center
The Lead: No. 7 Roanoke defeated No. 2 Emory & Henry 73-72 down the stretch to advance to the ODAC Semifinals.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke will play the winner of Lynchburg vs Washington and Lee Saturday, Feb. 23 at 8 p.m. at the Salem Civic Center.
- The score was 5-5 early on in the contest before Emory & Henry scored a 9-2 run, taking a 14-7 advantage after a pair of Peyton Williams free-throws with 3:56 to play in the first.
- Emory & Henry scored six straight points to push ahead 29-27 but a Kayla Kinsler three-pointer as time expired sent RC to the locker room up 30-29 at the half.
- Neither team was able to take more than a five-point lead through the first six minutes of the second half before E&H scored eight consecutive points to take a 51-38 advantage with just over three minutes left in the third.
- Molly Hassell made a buzzer-beater three-pointer to end the third quarter to make it a 53-49 game headed into the fourth.
- Ayanna Scarborough scored five straight points to close the gap to five points, 64-60, with 2:56 left in the game.
- Roanoke took the lead at 67-66, with a layup from Whitney Hopson, following a steal from Scarborough, with one minute remaining.
- The Maroons made six free throws in the final 38 seconds to secure the win.
- Hopson had a team-high 17 points and Scarborough had 15 points and two steals, both coming in the final minute of action. Renee Alquiza had 14 points in the win as well.
- Emory & Henry entered the game ranked No. 23 in the nation and No. 2 in the South Region.
Up Next: Roanoke will face the winner of the Lynchburg vs Washington and Lee game at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 23.