Score: No. 7 Roanoke 81, No. 10 Eastern Mennonite 67
Records: Roanoke 17-9| Eastern Mennonite 10-16
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Four players scored in double-figures as #7 seed Roanoke topped #10 seed Eastern Mennonite 81-67 in the first-round of the 2019 ODAC Women's Basketball Tournament.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke came out and scored the first eight points of the game with a pair of Ajah Alexander free-throws making it 8-0 at the 7:44 mark.
- RC led 24-7 in the final minute of the first quarter before EMU scored the final three points to make it a 24-10 game after the first 10 minutes.
- The Maroons led 24-12 early in the second quarter before going on an 14-0 run, pushing ahead 36-12 on a Renee Alquiza three-pointer with 4:47 to go in the half.
- With Roanoke leading 43-17, EMU scored the final nine points of the quarter to make it a 43-26 game at halftime.
- EMU scored the first nine points of the second-half, cutting the RC lead to 43-35 on a layup by Emily McCombs with 7:12 on the clock.
- The RC lead was 46-39 with just over five minutes to play in the third quarter before a three-pointer by Molly Hassell sparked a 12-2 run that was capped by a Kristina Harrel basket that made it 61-41 with 27 seconds to go in in quarter.
- In the fourth quarter EMU was able to chip away and cut the RC lead to 74-65 with 3:31 to go in the game, but back-to-back baskets by Hassell made the score 78-65 and put the game away.
- Harrel finished the game with 17 points, while Hassell had 16. Alquiza finished with 15 points off the bench and Alexander finished with 10 points.
- EMU got 16 points from Lindsey Krisak in the loss, while Chrissy Delawder and Jess Washington each had 11.
- The victory marks the first ODAC Tournament win for the Maroons since 2011.
Up Next: Roanoke will play No. 2 seed Emory & Henry at 6:00 p.m. on Friday in the ODAC Quarterfinals at the Salem Civic Center.