Score: Roanoke 78, Lynchburg 72
Records: Roanoke 16-9 / 9-9 ODAC | Lynchburg 13-11 / 11-6 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke used a big second-half to upend Lynchburg 78-72.
How it Happened:
- With the score 15-12 Lynchburg with three minutes remaining in the first quarter, the Hornets scored five straight points, opening up a 20-12 lead following a Carolyn Noe basket with two minutes to play.
- Back-to-back baskets by Victoria Maxwell and Kristina Harrel cut the Lynchburg lead to 26-14 after one quarter.
- Lynchburg held a 31-25 lead halfway through the second quarter. The Hornets then used a 6-0 run to open up a 37-25 lead with three minutes to go in the first-half.
- The Hornets led 41-29 at halftime and a layup by Molly Shepard made the score 44-32 with seven minutes to play in the third quarter.
- Roanoke then used an 11-2 run, cutting the Hornets lead y 46-43 on a Molly Hassell three-pointer with 4:17 to go in the quarter.
- With Lynchburg leading 55-44 with 2:36 to go in the third, RC closed the quarter with a 12-4 run and took the lead on an Allison Livengood jumper with 10 seconds remaining.
- Lynchburg led 63-59 with 7:32 to play in the game before RC scored five unanswered points as a Hassell three-pointer gave them a 64-63 lead with five minutes to play.
- The Hornets would lead 67-64 with four minutes to play. A Harrel bucket and a free-throws by Ayanna Scarborough and Harrel gave the Maroons a 70-67 advantage with 2:28 to play.
- Lynchburg would cut the lead to 70-69 but RC would force three turnovers and connected on eight free-throws down the stretch to seal the game.
- Hassell led five RC players in double-figures with 19 points. Hopson and Harrel each had 14 points and Scarborough finished with 11. Maxwell finished with eight points to go along with eight rebounds.
- Shephard had 28 points and 10 rebounds, while Noe finished with 16 points for Lynchburg.
Up Next: Roanoke will await the seeding for the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship which is set start on Tuesday.