Score: Roanoke 64, Hollins 38
Records: Roanoke 14-5 / 7-5 ODAC | Hollins 5-13 / 1-10 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Twelve different Maroons scored in a 64-38 ODAC win over Hollins on Wednesday evening in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Renee Alquiza led the way for RC with a team-high 12 points. Ajah Alexander had eight points, Molly Hassell had seven, while Kristina Harrel, Victoria Maxwell, Ayanna Scarborough and Mariah Carter each had six points.
- Alexander and Scarborough each had six rebounds to help RC to a 48-26 edge on the glass. On the defensive end, RC had 16 steals led by Whitney Hopson with six.
- Sally Sroge led Hollins with 17 points, while Kennan Surles had nine. Hollins was held to just 27.7% shooting from the floor as it made 13-of-47 shots and turned the ball over 24 times in the loss.
- A three-pointer from Hassell gave Roanoke an early 11-3 lead halfway through the first quarter.
- Alquiza then scored the first two baskets of the second quarter to push the Maroon lead to 18-7 with 7:16 to go in the half.
- A layup by Sroge cut the Hollins deficit to 20-13 with just over five minutes to play in the half before Roanoke finished out the final 4:50 with a 10-3 run to take a 30-16 lead into the intermission.
- With the score 32-23 three minutes into the second half, a bucket by Corinne McPadden sparked would prove to be a 17-4 run that was capped by a Harrel basket to make the score 49-27 with under two minutes to go.
- Roanoke would lead 51-31 after three quarters and maintain a 20 point lead throughout the fourth quarter of play, hitting a high of 27 on a Carter basket with 3:15 to go in the game.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Saturday when it travels to Lynchburg for a 2:00 p.m. ODAC game.