Score: Roanoke 82, Bridgewater 75
Records: Roanoke 11-5 / 4-5 ODAC| Bridgewater 9-6 / 4-5 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke used a pair of big second-half runs to rally for a 82-75 ODAC Women's Basketball win over Bridgewater on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened:
- Whitney Hopson led RC with 28 points. Molly Hassell had 17, Kristina Harrel had 15 and Ayanna Scarborough had 10 points and nine rebounds off the bench for the Maroons.
- Bridgewater used a 16-5 run midway through the first quarter to take a 26-11 lead on a Brianna Moore three-pointer. The Eagles would lead 31-18 after the first 10 minutes of action.
- A Hassell basket with 2:41 remaining in the half made it a 41-34 game but BC would score six of the last eight points to take a 47-36 advantage into halftime.
- The Eagles would extend their lead to 55-38 on a three-pointer with 7:29 to go in the third quarter.
- The Maroons would go on to a 20-4 run to close the quarter and pull within four at 62-58 heading into the fourth quarter of play.
- Baskets by Hopson and Hassell tied the game at 62 early in the fourth quarter before a three-pointer by BC's Allie Coburn made it 65-62.
- A bucket by Hopson on RC's ensuing possession sparked what would prove to a be a 17-1 run with the Maroons taking a 79-66 lead following a pair of Kayla Kinsler free-throws with 3:19 to go in the game.
- BC would rally scoring the next nine points with a three-pointer by Moore making it a 79-75 game with just over a minute to go.
- That would be as close as the Eagles would get as RC made two defensive stops down the stretch and made three-of-four free-throws to seal the game.
- Bridgewater was led by Moore with 20 points. Claire Mocarski had 17 and Rebecca Harvey chipped in with 16. BC had 25 turnovers on the day, including 16 in the decisive second half.
Up Next: Roanoke will be home Wednesday night when it takes on Randolph at 7:00 p.m.