Score: Virginia Wesleyan 79, Roanoke 76
Records: Roanoke 9-5 / 2-5 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 8-6 / 5-2 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Virginia Wesleyan held off a late Roanoke rally to score a 79-76 ODAC win over Roanoke Saturday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened:
- The first quarter saw four ties and three lead changes. The final tie came when Virginia Wesleyan's Jaelyn Washington scored a layup with 14 seconds left to tie the game at 14-14.
- In the second quarter, an Ajah Alexander three-point play made the score 21-19 VWU. The Marlins then scored seven of the next nine points with a Jayla Harris three-pointer making the score 28-21 with 4:32 to go in the half.
- RC battled back with a 9-3 spurt as a Kristina Harrel bucket would make the score 31-30 with just two minutes remaining.
- VWU led 33-30 at halftime and opened up a 38-33 advantage when a Harris three-pointer at the 8:09 mark of the third quarter.
- RC rallied with an 8-0 run, taking the lead 41-38 on an Alexander jumper with just under six minutes to go.
- With the score 48-47 Marlins, VWU would use an 8-3 run to open up a 56-50 advantage before Victoria Maxwell knocked down a jumper as time expired to send the game to the fourth quarter with Virginia Wesleyan leading 56-52.
- The Marlins led 61-60 two and a half minutes into the fourth before using a 10-0 run that was capped by Reagan Holmes three-pointer that made the score 71-60 with five minutes left.
- Down 75-63 with just over three minutes to go in the game, RC rallied with a 13-4 run with a Renee Alquiza three-pointer pulling the Maroons to within three at 79-76 with 15 seconds to play.
- Roanoke forced a Virginia Wesleyan turnover on the other end of the floor and had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds but turned the ball over as VWU secured the win.
- Roanoke was led by Laura McManimen with 21 points. Alquiza had 16 points, while Maxwell finished with 12 points and seven rebounds. RC shot 21-of-54 (50.0%) from the field, including 10 three-pointers.
- Virginia Wesleyan got 28 points from Harris, while Amanda Gerni finished with 14 points and Holmes had 12 off the bench. VWU made 27-of-58 (46.8%) shots from the field in the win.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to action on Wednesday when it travels to Ferrum for a 5:00 p.m. ODAC game.