Score: Roanoke, 72, Eastern Mennonite 68
Records: Roanoke 9-4 / 2-4 ODAC | Eastern Mennonite 6-7 / 3-3 ODAC
Location: Harrisonburg, Va.
The Lead: Eastern Mennonite topped Roanoke 72-68 in overtime in ODAC Women's Basketball on Wednesday.
How it Happened:
- The first period ended with Roanoke leading 18-16 after Ayanna Scarborough made a basket with 22 seconds to go in an opening stanza that saw neither team open up more than a four point lead.
- After a Jess Washington bucket made the score 24-22 Roanoke halfway through the second period, RC closed the first-half by outscoring EMU 14-5 in the final five minutes.
- Two free-throws by Whitney Hopson gave RC its largest lead of the half at 38-25 with half a minute to go before Emily McCombs scored as time ran out for EMU, sending the teams to the intermission with RC leading 38-27.
- A Renee Alquiza layup gave Roanoke a 44-36 lead with 6:45 remaining in the third quarter. Eastern Mennonite would then score seven of the next 12 points over the next five minutes, cutting the RC lead to 49-43 after the third.
- Victoria Maxwell knocked down a shot with 9:45 to go in the game and put Roanoke up 51-45.
- EMU battled back and tied the game 54-54 following a Precious Waddy three-pointer with just under five minutes to go.
- RC scored five of the next six points, taking a 59-55 lead following a Kristina Harrel free-throw with 43 seconds left on the clock.
- The Maroons went up 60-58 following a Molly Hassell free-throw with nine seconds left.
- On EMU's ensuing possession, the Royals had two three-point attempts with the second going out of bounds off an RC player with 0.9 seconds on the clock.
- Eastern Mennonite was then able to inbound the ball to Lindsay Krinsak who was fouled and converted both free-throws to send the game to overtime.
- In the overtime, Alquiza made a jumper to put RC up 64-62 with 3:45 to go before going on to make a free-throw with 1:55 to go to make it a 65-62.
- Krinsak made a three-pointer to tie the game at the 1:35 mark then after a defensive stop, the Royals took the lead for good on a Washington basket.
- Alquiza pulled RC to within one a 69-68 with a three-pointer with 15 seconds left. Following two free-throws by EMU on the other end, RC had a chance to tie but its three-point attempt fell short and the Royals would seal the win with a free-throw with two seconds remaining.
- Alquiza led four Maroons in double figures with 15 points, Harrel had 13 points and Maxwell and Hopson each had 11.
- McCombs finished with 22 points for EMU. Washington had 18 and Waddy finished with 12.
Up Next: Roanoke will host Virginia Wesleyan at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.