Score: Roanoke 70, Hood 51
Records: Roanoke 8-3 | Hood 3-9
Location: Salem, Va. | Susan Dunagan Holiday Classic
The Lead: Roanoke scored a 70-51 win over Hood in the opening game of the Susan Dunagan Holiday Classic Friday night.
How it Happened
- With the score 7-6 early in the first quarter, RC put together a spurt that saw the Maroons outscore Hood 10-3, taking a 17-9 lead following a Kayla Kinsler basket with 3:23 to go.
- A layup by Zara Whitifield to open up the second quarter made the score 19-16 with 9:44 left in the half. RC would then use a 13-4 run as it opened up a 32-20 lead following a pair of free-throws from Ajah Alexander with just under six minutes to go.
- Renee Alquiza scored with just under a minute left in the half to send the teams to the locker room with Roanoke leading 37-22.
- Victoria Maxwell scored to start the second half and put RC in front 39-22 before Hood scored seven unanswered points to make it a 39-28 game with 6:21 to play in the third quarter.
- RC responded with a 12-3 run, pushing ahead 51-31 following a Maxwell bucket with 3:19 to go in the third quarter.
- An Alexander basket with 8:11 to play in the game gave RC its largest lead at 55-33 and the Maroons would not see that lead dip below 15 points the remainder of the game.
- Thirteen different Maroons scored in the win led by Whitney Hopson with a game-high 12 points. Alquiza and Alexander each had nine points for RC. Hopson had eight rebounds to help RC to a 46-38 edge on the glass.
- Roanoke shot 44.8% for the game making 26-of-58 shots, while Hood was 19-of-62 (30.6%) in the loss.
- Hood got 10 points from Whitfield and Mia Savoy, while Ebony Pitt had eight rebounds.
Up Next: Roanoke will be off until Sunday when it takes on Susquehanna in the final game of the classic at 4:30 p.m.