Score: Roanoke 70, Piedmont 53
Records: Roanoke 3-1 | Piedmont 4-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke used a 22-3 run over the final 5:38 of the game to top Piedmont 70-53 in the final game of the Jean Beamer Classic in Salem.
How it Happened
- Piedmont scored the first eight points of the game following a Kelly Ackerman layup making it 8-0 just three minutes into the game.
- RC scored seven of the next nine points, cutting the Lions lead to 10-7 on a three-pointer by Kayla Kinsler with 4:18 left in the first.
- With Piedmont up 14-9, Whitney Hopson scored for the Maroons to send the team to the quarter break with the Lions leading 14-11.
- Piedmont opened up the second quarter with an 8-2 run, pushing ahead 22-13 following a Hope Franklin bucket with 7:31 to go in the half.
- The Maroons responded with an 11-2 run of their own that was capped by a Kinsler basket that made the score 24-22 with just over five minutes to play in the half.
- With the score 30-26 in the third quarter, Piedmont went on a 12-4 run to take a 42-30 lead with 1:34 left in the quarter.
- Piedmont led 46-40 with nine minutes to go in the fourth quarter when an Ajah Alexander basket sparked what would prove to be an 8-1 run with RC taking the lead on an Alexander bucket with 6:14 to go in the game.
- Piedmont came back and took the lead at 50-48 on its ensuing possession following a Jatasia Bailey three-pointer. Renee Alquiza answered on the other end for the Maroons with a three-pointer and it proved to be the first points in a 22-3 run for the Maroons to end the game.
- All-Classic Selection Molly Hassell led RC with 16 points. The Most Outstanding Player of the Classic Kristina Harrel had 14 points and Kinsler finished with 10 points. Alquiza finished with eight points and 10 rebounds, while Alexander had seven points and was named to the All-Classic Team as well.
Up Next: Roanoke will host Washington and Lee at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday in an ODAC matchup.