Score: Guilford 62, Roanoke 57
Records: Roanoke 1-1 / 0-1 ODAC | Guilford 1-0 / 1-0 ODAC
Location: Greensboro, N.C.
The Lead: Guilford clipped Roanoke 62-57 in the ODAC Women's Basketball opener for both teams.
How it Happened
- Renee Alquiza led Roanoke with 16 points, while Molly Hassell had 12. Kristina Harrel also added eight points. The Maroons were 23-of-60 from the field on the night and Harrel had a team-high five assists.
- Miracle Walters scored a game-high 18 points in the win for Guilford who was playing its season opener. Victoria Young added 12 points and Calyn Davis had 11 for the Quakers.
- Roanoke jumped out to an 11-4 lead in the first quarter when Alquiza knocked down a shot just under three minutes into the game. Guilford would rally and outscore RC 11-4 for the remainder of the quarter to tie the game at 15-15 after the first 10 minutes.
- A Harrel three-pointer with 5:35 left in the first half put RC up 26-19. GC would again rally scoring nine of the final 13 points but RC held a 30-28 at the break.
- The third quarter was back and forth with neither team able to open up more than a three-point lead.
- With GC leading 54-52 in the fourth quarter, Allison Livengood knocked down a jumper to tie the game with just under three minutes to go.
- A Walters bucket with 2:20 to go put GC in front for good and sparked an 8-3 run for Guilford to end the game.
Up Next: Roanoke will host the Jean Beamer tip-off classic Saturday and Sunday. RC will take on Wesleyan (Ga.) at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. Louisiana College and Piedmont will square off at 8:00 p.m.