Score: Roanoke 68, Meredith 62
Records: Roanoke 1-0 | Meredith 0-2
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
The Lead: Roanoke opened up its 2018-19 season with a 68-62 road win at Meredith on Saturday afternoon in Raleigh, N.C.
How it Happened:
- Kristina Harrel led RC with 14 points, while Molly Hassell and Renee Alquiza each had 11 points in the win as well. Kayla Kinsler and Allison Livengood each grabbed seven rebounds to help RC to a 38-34 edge on the glass. The Maroons made 23-of-60 (38.3%) shots on the day.
- Meredith was led by Kimberly Schuh and Katherine Holmes who both had 16 points in the loss. Janah Hassell had 11 and Kristie King had 10.
- A Harrel layup gave RC an early 10-3 lead in the first quarter.
- With the score 15-8 Maroons, RC went on 9-1 run in the final two minutes of the quarter to lead 24-9 after the first 10 minutes.
- An Alquiza jumper with 7:15 to play in the half made the score 30-14 Maroons. Alquiza would make another shot with 27 seconds left in the second quarter to send the teams to the locker room with RC up 39-26.
- Roanoke led 57-46 after three quarters and would find itself up 61-48 after a bucket by Alquiza with just over seven minutes to go in the game.
- Meredith was able to cut the lead to six at 66-60 with 24 seconds to play in the game, but Hassell knocked down a pair of free-throws to seal the game.
Up Next: Roanoke opens up ODAC play on Tuesday when it travels to Guilford for a 5:00 p.m. game.