Score: Washington and Lee 67, Roanoke 52
Records: Roanoke 2-4, 1-1 ODAC | Washington and Lee 5-3, 1-1 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va. | Cregger Center
The Lead: Washington and Lee scored a 67-52 ODAC Women's Basketball win over Roanoke Tuesday night in Salem.
How it Happened
- Victoria Maxwell had 13 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Maroons. Molly Hassell also had 13 points for RC, while Kristina Harrel had eight. RC held a 45-36 rebounding edge led by Maxwell and Madeline Suhr who grabbed eight boards.
- Emily Perszyk had a game-high 22 points for Washington and Lee. Katie Popp had 13 points and Emma Redding chipped in with 10 points.
- W&L jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the first quarter before the Maroons cut it to an 11-8 lead on a Hassell layup with just under two minutes to play. The Generals would then score seven of the final nine points to take an 18-10 advantage after the first quarter.
- In the second quarter, a pair of Victoria Maxwell free-throws made the score 20-14 with 6:41 to go in the half. W&L then reeled off an 11-2 run, taking a 31-16 lead on a Popp three-pointer with under a minute to go.
- The Generals would lead 31-20 at the intermission and extend its lead to 35-20 early in the third quarter. RC chipped away and was able to pull within eight points at 42-34 on a free-throw by Maxwell with 3:34 to go.
- Washington and Lee scored seven of the final nine points of the third quarter to extend its lead to 13 and then was able to open up a 20 point advantage halfway through the fourth quarter.
Up Next: Roanoke will host Southern Virginia at 7:00 p.m. on Friday.