Score: Roanoke 8 | William Peace 4
Records: Roanoke 4-2 | William Peace 3-5
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
The Lead: Roanoke scored seven runs in the first three innings to secure an 8-4 win over William Peace in the final game of the Triangle Classic.
How it Happened:
- Taylor Carter started the game with a single to center, Katie Smith drew a walk before Anna Clowdis moved them both over with a groundout. Morris then pushed Carter across the plate with an RBI to take a 1-0 lead.
- With two outs in the second, Kendall Penn ripped a double and Carter singled. Smith then singled to center, scoring Penn. Clowdis followed suit with an RBI single scoring Carter to make it 3-0.
- Marlene Carlson smacked a grand slam in the top of the third to put the game away at the 7-0 mark.
- William Peace scored two runs, stringing together two singles and one lone run in the fourth off a sacrifice fly from Lauren Conway to make it 7-3.
- Roanoke scored once more in the top of the sixth as pinch runner Scarlett Sisson stole second, allowing Clowdis to score from third.
- An RBI single from Heather McLean in the bottom of the seventh closed out the scoring before Emily Salsberry struck out the final batter to earn the win.
- Carter, Carlson, and Morris all went 2-for-4 while Smith went 2-for-3. For WPU, Alexa Nemeth led the way going 2-for-4.
- Salsberry earned the win (2-1) allowing only one run off three hits in four complete innings. Danielle Hunt moved to 2-2 after allowing seven runs off six hits.
Score: Maryville (Tenn.) 4 | Roanoke 3
Records: Roanoke 3-2 | Maryville 6-4
Location: Raleigh, N.C. | Triangle Classic
The Lead: A four-run first inning lifted Maryville to a 4-3 win over Roanoke in game one Sunday afternoon.
How it Happened:
- Maryville used a leadoff walk, a single, a double and a pair RC errors to jump out to a 4-0 advantage in the first inning.
- In the bottom of the inning, Roanoke cut the deficit to two as Taylor Carter started the inning with the double before Katie Smith followed suit with a double to score Carter. Kate Priester then drove Smith in with a single to right field to make it a 4-2 game.
- The Maroons added another run in the fourth as Priester reached on a single before scoring off a sacrifice bunt from Becca Wenger that caused a Maryville error to make it 4-3. But that was as close as RC would get as the Scots held Roanoke scoreless through the final three innings.
- Smith and Priester led Roanoke both going 2-for-3.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts Pfeiffer on Monday, March 5 for its home-opener at the Moyer Complex. The doubleheader is slated to start at 2 p.m.