Maroons Fall In Penalty Kicks

action photo of RC soccer player Liam Camilleri
Liam Camilleri scored the game tying goal late in regulation

The Basics
Score: Roanoke 2, Swarthmore 2 (2OT)
Records: Maroons 14-2-4 | Garnet 11-3-4
Location: Newport News, Va.

The Lead: The Roanoke College men's soccer team took the field in the NCAA DIII National Championship Tournament for the first time since 2012 when they played Swarthmore on Saturday afternoon. The Garnet and Maroons were tied after regulation, the first and second overtimes as the match would have to be decided on penalty kicks. RC fell after Swarthmore won the PK round, 4-2.

How it Happened:

  • Swarthmore got off three shots in the game's opening five minutes of play. Zach Behe made a save on the first shot of the afternoon while the other two shots were off target.
  • Roanoke would answer with the next three shots, but the match remained tied at the mid-way point of the first half.
  • The Garnet would break the tie when Bless Tumushabe ripped a shot from the top of the box just off the fingertips of Behe.
  • Roanoke wasted little time in finding the equalizer. Luca Kuettel won a 50/50 ball and sent a low shot into the back of the net to tie the score at 1-1 heading into the break.
  • Less than 15 minutes into the second half, the Garnet would retake the lead on an Omri Gal shot into the corner of the goal.
  • As the clock went under 10 minutes to play, Roanoke was awarded a corner kick. Tim Leuenberger sent the ball into the box and after it volleyed around, Liam Camilleri would knot the game and send it into overtime.
  • Leuenberger would get the lone shot in the first overtime but it was saved by Max Kral.
  • In the opening stages of the second overtime period, Swarthmore got a breakaway. As Leuenberger tried to stop the breakaway from behind he was called for a foul on the tackle. The RC wall was able to keep the ensuing free kick from getting towards the goal and the game would remain tied.
  • After 110 minutes the winner would be decided by penalty kicks and Camilleri would strike first for the Maroons. After Ben Lau scored on his chance, Kral made a save for the Garnet. Another Swarthmore score and save, saw Roanoke with a two goal deficit. Alec Taitague would close the gap with shot into the left side of the goal. The Garnet would seal the win after Conner Gill sent his penalty shot off the fingertips of Behe, advancing Swarthmore in the tournament.