Score: Roanoke 4, Lynchburg 1
Records: Roanoke 1-0-0 | Lynchburg 0-1-0
Location: Lynchburg, Va.
The Lead: Four first-half goals propelled Roanoke to a 4-1 non-conference match win over rival Lynchburg on Friday night as both teams opened the 2019 season.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke scored just 9:36 into the match when Atticus Cooke tallied an unassisted strike to make it 1-0.
- Chris Pikunas scored in the 25th minute to double the Maroons advantage to 2-0.
- RC would then get two goals in the final 4:30 of the first-half to put the game away. Jon-Cody Mactutus would set up Tim Leuenberger for a goal in the 41st minute to make it 3-0, before Gabriel Hendi struck in the 43rd minute to give RC a 4-0 lead.
- The Maroons held a 12-6 lead in shots, while Lynchburg held a 5-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Zach Behe made five saves in the win for Roanoke.
Up Next: Roanoke will host the All Sports Cafe / Roanoke Invitational on Sept. 7-8. The Maroons will take on Regent on Saturday 2:30, followed by Maryville at 4:30 on Sunday.