Score: Roanoke 2 | Christopher Newport 1
Records: Roanoke 3-0 | Christopher Newport 3-1
Location: Lynchburg, Va. | Shellenberger Classic
The Lead: A pair of second-half goals led Roanoke to a 2-1 win over Christopher Newport Friday night in Lynchburg.
How it Happened:
- After 48 minutes of scoreless play, Liam Camilleri found the back of the net, off a pass from Anthony Zarlenga, to give RC a 1-0 lead early in the second half.
- At the 74-minute mark, Jon-Cody Mactutus scored off a penalty kick to make it 2-0, after Roanoke was fouled from behind in the box.
- Christopher Newport brought it within one following a penalty kick goal from Andrew Maeso, making it a 2-1 game with 13 minutes left in regulation.
- The Roanoke defense and goalie Zach Behe combined for two blocked shots and two saves in the final 10 minutes to secure the win.
- CNU outshot RC 14-8 while the Maroons took 9 of the 15 corners on the night.
- Alex Sullivan made three saves in goal in the first half to keep the Captains off the board.
Up Next: Roanoke faces Dickinson at 5 p.m. on Saturday in the final day of the Shellenberger Classic in Lynchburg.