Score: Roanoke 2 | Averett 0
Records: Roanoke 2-0 | Averett 0-2
Location: Salem, Va. | Roanoke Invitational
The Lead: A pair of second-half goals lifted Roanoke to a 2-0 win over Averett on Saturday night to close out the Roanoke Invitational.
How it Happened:
- Ryan Hepburn put the Maroons on the board off a penalty kick at the 64:26 mark, after Jon-Cody Mactutus was fouled in the box, to make it a 1-0 game.
- Seven minutes later, Anthony Wisdo chippped a shot over the Averett keeper off a pass from Philani Mlotshwa to double the lead with 20 minutes left in regulation.
- Zach Behe made three second-half saves on the night, highlighted by two in the final seven minutes to keep the Cougars scoreless as Behe and Alex Sullivan combined for the shutout.
- Averett held a 10-9 edge in shots while Roanoke had a 6-2 advantage on corners on the night.
- Roanoke closes its Invitational 2-0, including a 1-0 win over Oberlin on Friday.
Up Next: Roanoke faces Christopher Newport on Friday, Sept. 7 at 5 p.m. in day one of the Lynchburg Invitational on the campus of the University of Lynchburg.