Score: #5 Roanoke 9, #4 Randolph-Macon 8 (OT)
Records: Roanoke 11-7 | Randolph-Macon 13-4
Location: Ashland, Va.
The Lead: Sam Balch's goal with 1:27 left in overtime lifted No. 5 Roanoke to a 9-8 win over No. 4 Randolph-Macon in the Quarterfinals of the 2019 ODAC Men's Lacrosse Tournament.
How it Happened
- Roanoke won the face-off in overtime but turned the ball over on a shot clock violation. On the other end of the field, Griffin Buck forced a turnover. Balch picked up the ball and went the length of the field to score the game-winner.
- Roanoke got on the board first when Matthew Lintner scored with 12:19 left to play in the first quarter.
- With the score tied at 1-1, Peter Lindley scored with 1:49 left in the first to give RC a 2-1 lead then Jack Warren would score to make it 3-1 RC with five minutes remaining in the first half.
- After a goal by R-MC's Merrick Warren made it 3-2, Lintner scored with two minutes left in the half to send Roanoke to the intermission up 4-2.
- R-MC came out and scored the first three goals of the third quarter with a Brendan Markovic strike making it 5-4 Jackets with 4:18 to go in the third quarter.
- A Daniel Medvetz goal with 1:53 left in the third quarter tied the game before R-MC got a goal to open the fourth quarter to take a 6-5 lead.
- Lindley scored to tie the game with just under 10 minutes to go in the game and would score again to tie the game at seven with 4:29 to go after R-MC had taken the lead again.
- After the Yellow Jackets used a man-up goal to take an 8-7 lead with 2:13 left, Lintner scored with 52 seconds on the clock to tie the game.
Up Next: Roanoke will play top-seeded Washington and Lee in the ODAC Semifinals on Friday at a time to be determined in Lexington, Va.