Score: Roanoke 20, Mary Washington 8
Records: Roanoke 5-3 | Mary Washington 5-5
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke's Peter Lindley had five goals as the Maroons topped Mary Washington 20-8 on Wednesday in non-conference men's lacrosse action.
How it Happend
- Roanoke took an early 3-0 lead before Mary Washington scored five unanswered goals and went up 5-3 on a Shane McKenzie strike with 5:29 to go in the first quarter.
- Back-to-back goals by Lindley tied the game at the end of the first.
- Lindley's goals would prove to spark an 8-0 run that stretched into the second quarter and was capped by a Brendan Devane goal that would make it an 11-5 game with seven minutes to go in the first-half.
- Mary Washington would score to send the teams to the intermission with RC leading 11-6 before the Maroons would come out in the third quarter and get goals from Devane and Josh Vetter to move in front 13-6 with 12:35 left on the clock.
- With the score 13-7, Roanoke put the game away with a 5-1 run that was capped by back-to-back goals by Daniel Medvetz and Jason Sarro 11 seconds apart, putting RC up 18-8 after three quarters.
- Lindley finished with five goals for RC, while Devane and Matthew Lintner each had four. Sarro finished the day with three goals and three assists. Ian Davies finished with nine saves in goal, while Vetter grabbed six groundballs and Griffin Buck had five caused turnovers.
- RC outshot UMW 45-40, while holding a 45-40 edge in groundballs as well.
- Chris White had three goals to lead Eagles, while Billy Senicola had seven saves for the Eagles.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Saturday when it travels to Guilford for a 4:00 p.m. ODAC game.