Score: Roanoke 27, Virginia Wesleyan 13
Records: Roanoke 4-3 / 1-0 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 5-2/ 1-1 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Peter Lindley tied the ODAC and Roanoke record for points with 14 and tied the RC record with 10 goals, while Jason Sarro set an RC record with nine assists in a 27-13 Maroon win over Virginia Wesleyan.
How it Happened
- Lindley's 14 points (10g, 4a) tied the league record set by Roanoke's own Andy Bonasera back in 2001 against Pfeiffer. His 10 goals ties the mark previously set by Jon Mason who scored 10 times against Ursinus in 2005.
- Sarro's nine assists breaks the record of six set by three different Maroons, the most recent being Pat March who had six helpers against Virginia Wesleyan in 2008. His 11 points on the day also ties for the third most in school history.
- With the score tied at 1-1, RC closed the first quarter with a 6-2 run, taking a 7-3 lead following a Matthew Lintner goal with 30 seconds left.
- VWU made it an 8-5 game with 9:32 to play in the half before RC would score five unanswered goals, going ahead 13-5 when Sarro scored with four minutes to play.
- The Marlins scored the final two goals of the first half then scored twice in the first five minutes of the third quarter to make it a 13-9 game with 11 minutes to play in the third.
- Back-to-back goals by Lindley and a score by Brendan Devane gave RC a 16-9 lead with eight minutes to go.
- RC led 17-11 and would go on a 7-0 run to put the game away with a Jack Larkin goal making it 24-11 with 5:26 to go in the game.
- Devane would finish with five goals and Lintner had three. Ian Davies finished with 16 saves in net for RC.
- RC outshot VWU 70-46 and won the groundball battle 58-36 led by John Heckler who had nine to go along with 12 faceoff wins.
- VWU was led by four goals from John Backo and Nathan Sheirburn who had three. Kyle Leeming made 19 saves for the Marlins.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. at Mary Washington.