Score: No. 13 Roanoke 17, Sewanee 7
Records: Roanoke 1-0 | Sewanee 0-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: No. 13 Roanoke opened up the 2019 season with a 17-7 win over Sewanee on Friday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Jason Sarro got the scoring going with an unassisted goal at the 8:21 mark of the first quarter.
- Peter Lindley and Tommy McAleer would score later in the quarter to make it 3-0 RC before Daniel Burnum made it a 3-1 game with 34 seconds left in the opening frame.
- Dylan Stein scored 2:02 into the second quarter and sparked what would prove to be the first of six unanswered goals as a Josh Corley strike made it 9-1 with 4:23 to go in the half.
- Burnum scored two goals in the final three minutes to make it a 9-3 game at the intermission.
- A Henry Burns goal 1:07 into the third quarter made it a 9-4 game before RC would score three straight goals to take a 12-4 advantage with 6:18 to play in the quarter.
- The score was 13-5 after three quarters and the Maroons put the game away as Lindley scored to make it 14-5 and Wyatt Naylor scored three times in just over four minutes to put the Maroons up 17-5 with seven minutes to play.
- Naylor scored five times and added an assist for six points. Sarro scored four times and dished out three assists for a game-high seven points. Ian Davies made 10 stops in the cage for RC.
- Roanoke outshot Sewanee 52-30 and won the groundball battle 49-33.
- Burnum finished with four goals, Bryce Womack had 13 saves and Ryan Stubits won 19 face-offs for the Tigers in the loss.
Up Next: Roanoke will take on No. 16 Christopher Newport on the road Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m.