NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships Second Round
Score: Christopher Newport 17 | Roanoke 11
Records: Roanoke 14-6 | Christopher Newport 15-4
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke closed its season as the Maroons fell 17-11 to Christopher Newport in the Second Round of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships.
How it Happened:
- CNU used an 11-1 throughout the second and third quarters to take make it a 14-5 game with eight minutes left in the third quarter.
- Roanoke broke open the scoring with goals from IV Stucker and Daniel Medvetz to take an early 2-0 lead in the first nine minutes of play.
- With the score tied 4-4 in the second quarter, the Captains went on a 5-1 run to take a 9-5 advantage into the intermission following a goal from Miles Collins.
- Christopher Newport opened the third quarter with five straight goals before Roanoke responded with three consecutive goals coming from Hayden Miller, Stucker and Dylan Stein to close the gap to 14-8 with one quarter to play.
- The Maroons closed the scoring with three unanswered goals to close the gap to 17-11.
- The Captains held a 44-37 edge in shots and a 44-29 advantage in ground balls. CNU won 18-of-31 face-offs on the day, headed by Tony Cruz with 14.
- Roanoke was led by Stucker with five goals while Ian Davies made eight saves in goal. Lucas Barry tallied five goals for the Captains and Scott McAneney made 11 saves.