Score: No. 18 Roanoke 14, Hampden-Sydney 8
Records: Roanoke 14-4 | Hampden-Sydney 13-5
Location: Lexington, Va.
The Lead: Third-seeded Roanoke knocked off second-seeded Hampden-Sydney 14-8 in the semifinals of the ODAC Men's Lacrosse Tournament. RC will now face fourth-seeded Lynchburg at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday at Washington and Lee, gunning for the program's 19th league championship.
How it Happened
- Owen Curry opened the scoring, getting a goal on a feed from IV Stucker at the 13:25 mark of the first quarter.
- With the score tied 1-1, a Stucker goal with just under seven minutes left, sparked a four-goal run by the Maroons to close the first quarter, the final goal coming from Stucker with just four seconds left.
- RC extended its lead to 7-1 following goals from Curry and Jason Sarro to open up the second quarter.
- Following a John Burke goal for H-SC that made the score 7-2 with 8:36 left in the half, RC got strikes by Curry and Tommy McAleer to close the half and send RC to the intermission ahead 9-2.
- The Maroons got goals from Curry and Stucker to help give RC an 11-4 edge after three quarters.
- A Hayden Miller goal made the score 12-4 with 9:40 left in the game before H-SC got back-to-back goals to make it 12-6 with 3:28 to play.
- Roanoke put the game away with back-to-back goals in just over a minute from Miller and Sarro that made it 14-6.
- Stucker finished with three goals and two assists. Curry had four goals and an assist, while Miller had three goals and Sarro had two goals and two assists.
- Ian Davies finished with six saves for Roanoke which outshot H-SC 49-29. RC held a 46-31 edge in groundballs led by Griffin Weber with six.
Up Next: Roanoke and Lynchburg will face-off for the 2018 ODAC Championship at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday at Washington and Lee.