Score: No. 18 Roanoke 16, Virginia Wesleyan 9
Records: Roanoke 12-4 / 7-2 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 4-11 / 1-7 ODAC
Location: Virginia Beach
The Lead: No. 18 Roanoke closed out its regular season with a 16-9 win over Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday in Virginia Beach.
How it Happened
- IV Stucker got RC on the board just two minutes into the game on an unassisted goal to make it 1-0.
- After back-to-back goals VWU, Jason Sarro tied the game for the Maroons at the 7:29 mark.
- With the Marlins leading 3-2, RC got goals from Matthew Lintner, Garritt Schwarz, and Tommy McAleer in the final 4:33 of the first quarter to go up 5-3.
- VWU scored the first two goals of the second quarter to tie the game at 5-5 before Hayden Miller put RC in front 6-5 with eight minutes to go in the half.
- The Marlins tied the game 6-6 but Sarro and Brendan Devane scored in the final minute of the half to send RC to the intermission up 8-6.
- Daniel Medvetz and Sarro scored to open the third quarter and push the RC lead to 10-6.
- The teams exchanged goals in the final eight minutes of the quarter with RC leading 12-8 heading into the fourth.
- RC put the game away when Wyatt Naylor scored three goals in a 2:20 span in the fourth to give RC a 15-8 lead with 10:31 to go in the game.
- A strike by Stucker with just over eight minutes to go made it a 16-8 game.
- VWU outshot RC 45-44 and Roanoke won the groundball battle 32-30.
- Ian Davies made 11 saves for RC, while Chris McTague made 11 stops for VWU.