Score: No. 16 Roanoke 9 | Guilford 5
Records: Roanoke 9-3, 4-1 ODAC | Guilford 8-4, 2-2 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: A six-goal first half led Roanoke to a 9-5 ODAC win over Guilford Wednesday evening in Salem.
How it Happened:
- IV Stucker broke open the scoring just 54 seconds into the contest with an unassisted goal to make it 1-0 and spark a four-goal run by the Maroons.
- Jason Sarro tallied back-to-back goals at the 6:46 and 4:04 mark in the first quarter to extend the lead to 4-0.
- The Maroons tallied a pair of goals in the final minute of the second quarter coming off the sticks of Garritt Schwarz and Tommy McAleer to take a 6-2 edge into the intermisson.
- RC's defense held Guilford scoreless through the final 4:04 of the first quarter, the entirety of the second quarter and seven minutes into the third quarter for a total of 26 minutes.
- Guilford scored at the 8-minute mark in the third with a goal from Derek Spaulding to close the gap to 6-3.
- Roanoke tacked on two goals to kick off the fourth quarter with goals from McAleer and Schwarz to take the biggest lead of the day at 9-3.
- Roanoke held a 48-26 edge in ground balls while Guilford won 13-of-18 face-offs, headed by Michael Hickner with 12 of his own.
- Ian Davies made nine saves for the Maroons while Parker Styles made 17 for the Quakers.
Up Next: Roanoke heads to Hampden-Sydney on Saturday, April 7 for a 1 p.m. match-up with the Tigers.