Score: No. 18 Roanoke 9, No. 15 Christopher Newport 8
Records: Roanoke 7-3 | Christopher Newport 9-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke used a 6-1 second-half run and Ian Davies made 16 saves as No. 18 Roanoke handed No. 15 Christopher Newport its first loss of the season with a 9-8 victory.
How it Happened:
- With CNU leading 2-1, Garritt Schwarz scored with 4:32 left in the first quarter to tie the game at 2-2. Jason Sarro then opened the second quarter scoring at the 12:32 mark of the second quarter to give RC a 3-2 lead.
- The Captains Will Stockhausen scored a minute after Sarro and sparked a three-goal run to end the half as a Matthew Crist goal would give CNU a 5-3 lead at the intermission.
- Crist would then gave Christopher Newport a 6-3 advantage with a goal at the 12:41 mark of the third quarter.
- Back-to-back goals by Roanoke's Tommy McAleer and Brendan Devane cut the CNU lead to 6-5 with 9:44 to go in the third quarter.
- CNU's Shane McKenna scored 25 seconds after Devane to up the CNU lead to 7-5.
- The score stayed that way until 31 seconds left in the quarter when Schwarz set up Sarro for a goal to make it 7-6.
- Wyatt Naylor tied the game just one second left to tie the game 7-7 heading into the fourth quarter.
- The score remained tied until the 8:08 mark of the fourth quarter when IV Stucker gave RC an 8-7 lead.
- Devane scored 51 seconds after Stucker's goal to extend the RC lead to 9-7.
- Crist cut the RC lead to 9-8 with a score with 2:42 to go in the game.
- That would be as close CNU would get as the RC defense held strong with Davies making a point-blank save on a shot from Jackson Deal with just over a minute to go.
- Davies made 16 saves in the win, including seven in the fourth quarter. Andrew Clark made nine stops for CNU.
- CNU outshot RC 43-33 and held a 39-26 edge in groundballs. The RC defense forced CNU to convert just 13-of-22 clears on the afternoon.
- Sarro finished with two goals and three assists. Devane had two goals as well. Crist finished with four goals for CNU.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to action on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. against Lynchburg in Salem, Va.