Score: No. 17 Roanoke 12 | Eastern 9
Records: Roanoke 3-0 | Eastern 0-3
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke defeated Eastern 12-9 Tuesday afternoon non-conference action in Salem, Va.
How it Happened
- Garritt Schwarz led the Maroons with four goals while IV Stucker had a team-high three assists.
- Schwarz got Roanoke on the board with a goal just under four minutes into the contest to take a 1-0 lead.
- Brendan Devane doubled the advantage to 2-0 with a goal less than two minutes later.
- Eastern got a man-up goal from Trevor Gallion at the 9:13 mark, which sparked a 3-0 run for the Eagles to take a 3-2 lead to close out the first quarter.
- Roanoke opened the second quarter with back-to-back goals from Daniel Medvetz and Schwarz to regain the lead with 8:58 left in the first half
- With the score 5-5, Hayden Miller scored off a pass from Owen Curry to send Roanoke into the locker room with a 6-5 edge.
- Coming out of halftime, Roanoke scored a pair of goals in the third quarter, with one from Devane at the 10:33 mark and Schwarz at 2:32 to give Roanoke the lead for good at 8-6.
- Eastern brought it within one three times in the final 15 minutes of play but Curry scored with 4:02 left in the game followed by a goal from Miller 30 seconds later to close out the scoring and secure the win.
- Ian Davies made nine saves in goal for RC while Jameal Hadeed made 16 for the Eagles.
- Roanoke held a 35-32 edge on ground balls and outshot Eastern 46-35.
Up Next: Roanoke heads to Denison on March 4 for a 1 p.m. match-up in Granville, Ohio.