Score: Roanoke 15 | Colorado College 10
Records: Roanoke 1-0 | Colorado College 0-1
Location: Salem, Va. | Kerr Stadium
The Lead: Roanoke scored a 15-10 win, behind eight goals from rookie Garritt Schwarz, in the season-opener against Colorado College.
How it Happened:
- Schwarz made his debut with eight goals and one assist while Jason Sarro, Brendan Devane, and Owen Curry each added two goals. IV Stucker rounded out the scoring with a goal and tallied a team-high three assists.
- Devane broke open the scoring with a goal just under two minutes into the contest to take an early 1-0 lead.
- Schwarz kicked off the second quarter with back-to-back goals to give RC a 4-1 advantage with 8:39 left in the half. Colorado College responded with three unanswered goals to tie it up.
- With 36 seconds left on the clock, Schwarz found the back of the net to give Roanoke a 5-4 edge at the intermission.
- Schwarz scored a pair of goals in the opening 1:30 of the third to spark what would be a 7-1 run with six goals coming from the freshman, for the Maroons to take a 12-5 advantage at the end of the third quarter.
- After being held scoreless for over 14 minutes, the Tigers scored three consecutive goals within the first three minutes of the fourth to close the gap to 12-8, but that would be as close as Colorado College would get.
- Ian Davies made 14 saves in goal for the Maroons while Andrew Harwood made 13 for the Tigers.
- RC won 11-of-17 faceoffs on the day and owned a 43-38 edge in groundballs, headed by Conn Curry with seven.
Up Next: Roanoke hosts Sewanee on Feb. 24 for a 2 p.m. match-up at Kerr Stadium.