Score: Roanoke 58 | Guilford 74
Records: Maroons 4-4, 0-1 ODAC | Quakers 8-1, 2-0 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke opened up ODAC play with a visit from the nation's 16th ranked team when Guilford College came to town on Wednesday night. The Maroons took a one point lead into the break but a late second half surge carried the Quakers past RC, 74-58.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke opened the game on a 6-0 run as Brandon Harrell and Kasey Draper hit from long range. Guilford responded with six of their own for the first of six, first half ties.
- The Quakers would see their largest lead of the half when Joah Logan scored to make it 22-17 with 6:20 left on the clock.
- RC closed the gap when Kojack Thompson scored at the 3:30 mark to make it 28-28.
- Guilford would hit a pair of free throws with five seconds on the clock as they appeared to be heading into the break with the lead. However, Tripp Greene took the inbounds pass and dribbled just past the time line, set his feet, and buried a half-court shot to give Roanoke a 38-37 edge at the half.
- RC would enjoy a four point lead with just over 16 minutes to play, but couldn't pull away as neither team would score for a 3:30 stretch. With 12:22 remaining, Roanoke would once again break the tie when Brayden Gault scored off a pass from Joe Mikalauskas to make it 52-50.
- Over the next three minutes of action, Guilford would hold the Maroons scoreless as they built their advantage to seven, 59-52, and closed the game by out-scoring RC 15-2 over the final nine minutes of play.
- Draper paced Roanoke with 16 while Greene added 13 and Gault scored seven of the Maroon's 21 bench points.
- Nick Price accounted for three of the team's 11 assists and Gault grabbed a team high four rebounds.
Up next: With exams starting on Monday, Roanoke will travel to Lynchburg to face Randolph College on Saturday at 2:00pm.