Score: No. 6 Roanoke 74, No. 3 Lynchburg 72
Records: Roanoke: 19-7| Lynchburg 20-6
Location: Salem, Va. | Salem Civic Center
The Lead: Tripp Greene's two free-throws with 0.8 seconds left lifted sixth-seeded Roanoke to a 74-72 win over third-seeded Lynchburg in the Quarterfinals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament on Thursday.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke led 15-13 with just under 12 minutes to go in the first half and then went on a 9-2 run, pushing ahead 24-15 on a Josh Freund bucket.
- With the score 24-17 Maroons, RC went on a 12-4 spurt, taking a 36-21 edge on a Greene three-pointer with 4:44 to play in the half.
- Roanoke led 38-26 with 3:42 to before Lynchburg finished the half on a 10-4 run to make the score 42-36 at the break.
- Lynchburg came out and scored the first two baskets of the second-half to make it a two point game before RC would score the next eight points and take a 50-40 lead on Freund basket with 17 minutes to go in the game.
- A Freund jumper made the score 69-58 with 6:11 to play in the game. The Hornets would then score seven unanswered points as two free-throws by Connor Schroeder made it a 69-65 game with just under five minutes to go.
- Lynchburg scored seven of the next eight points, taking a 72-70 lead on a Chance Greene three-pointer with 48 seconds to play.
- On Roanoke's ensuing possession, Dillon Thomas was fouled and converted both ends of a one-and-one to tie the game at 72-72 with 36 seconds left.
- After the Maroons got a defensive stop on the other end. Roanoke had a chance to win with 8.6 seconds left on the clock. Following a timeout, a Joe Mikalauskas three-pointer missed but Greene was fouled on an attempted tip back with 0.8 left.
- Greene would make both to give RC the lead and the Maroons would stop Lynchburg on the other end to secure the win.
- Freund finished with 20 points and 13 rebounds. Thomas had 12 points while C.J. Miles had 11 and Mikalauskas had 10.
- Roanoke made 25-of-46 (54.3%) shots from the field, while Lynchburg was 30-of-59 (50.8%).
Up Next: Roanoke will take on No. 2 Guilford at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday in the semifinals at the Salem Civic Center.