Score: Roanoke 66, Virginia Wesleyan 56
Records: Roanoke 14-6 / 7-4 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 9-11 / 7-4 ODAC
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
The Lead: Virginia Wesleyan scored a 66-56 ODAC Men's Basketball win over Roanoke on Saturday in Virginia Beach.
How it Happened
- Roanoke was led by Josh Freund who had 15 points and eight rebounds. Dillon Thomas had 10 points, while C.J. Miles had eight. RC made 20-of-50 (40.0%) shots on the day.
- VWU got a game-high 17 points from Lamont Steward. Tyree Golston had 15 points, while Tim Fisher had 10 points and nine rebounds for the Marlins. Virginia Wesleyan shot 46.6% for the game making 27-of-58 shots in the win.
- With VWU leading 11-9 six minutes into first-half, RC went on an 8-0 run, taking a 17-11 lead on a three-point play from Freund with 12:32 to go.
- VWU came back to tie the game and took the lead 24-23 on a Dylan Bultje three-pointer with just under eight minutes to go.
- The Maroons would come back and take the lead on a Freund bucket with 7:27 to play before a Bultje three-pointer would put VWU back up and the Marlins would eventually take a 35-33 lead into the locker room at the intermission.
- The Marlins came out and scored to open the second-half and make the score 38-33 before RC scored five straight points, tying the game on a Caleb Jordan basket with 16:16 to play.
- Neither team was able to open up more than a two point lead over the next few minutes. With VWU up 45-44, the Marlins used a 9-2 spurt to open up a 54-46 advantage with 7:28 to go in the game.
- A layup by RC's Joe Mikalauskas made the score 59-51 Marlins with 4:14 on the clock but that is as close as RC would get as the Maroons were held to one field goal in the final four minutes.
Up Next: Roanoke is back in action on Wednesday when it hosts Lynchburg at 7:30 p.m. in the Cregger Center.