Score: Roanoke 67, Eastern Mennonite 63
Records: Roanoke 12-4 / 5-4 ODAC| Eastern Mennonite 8-8 / 3-4 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke got 21 points from Josh Freund as the Maroons topped Eastern Mennonite 67-63 Saturday in Salem.
How it Happened:
- With EMU leading 18-17 with 8:39 to go in the first-half, RC scored seven unanswered points, taking a 25-17 lead following a three-point play from Tripp Greene.
- An 8-2 spurt by the Royals cut the RC lead to 27-26 with 1:29 to go in the half and the Maroons would lead 30-27 at the intermission.
- Back-to-back baskets by C.J. Miles and Caleb Jordan to open the second-half gave RC a 34-27 edge.
- EMU would trim the RC lead to 41-38 with 13:20 to go in the game before the Maroons used a 10-2 run, taking a 51-40 advantage on a Josh Freund three-point play.
- Roanoke would widen its lead to 12 points following a jumper by Greene that made the score 55-43 with 7:27 to go in the game.
- Eastern Mennonite rallied with an 11-4 run and was able to pull within four points at 61-57 after a Sammy Thomas layup with 1:43 left on the clock.
- EMU cut the RC lead to two points when Jamel Howard knocked down a three-pointer with 52 seconds to go.
- Miles converted two free-throws to make it a 65-61 game. EMU would get two free-throws of its own end but Joe Mikalauskas made two free-throws following that to seal the game.
- Freund led all scorers with 21 points. Miles finished with 14 and Jordan had 11. Greene finished with nine points off the bench for the Maroons. RC shot 25-of-47 (53.2%) for the game.
- EMU was led by Tim Jones with 16 points. Travis Clower had 15 and Tariq Caldwell had 10 points to go along with 10 rebounds. The Royals made 21-of-52 (40.4%) shots from the floor.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back in action on Wednesday when it travels to Emory & Henry for a 7:00 p.m. ODAC game.