Score: Washington and Lee 71, Roanoke 67
Records: Roanoke 9-4 / 2-2 ODAC | Washington and Lee 9-4 / 2-2 ODA
Location: Lexington, Va.
The Lead: Washington and Lee held off a late Roanoke rally to score a 71-67 win over the Maroons on Wednesday night.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke found itself down 37-30 at halftime but was able to come out in the second half and cut the lead to five points at 42-37 following a Caleb Jordan basket with 16:34 to go in the game.
- Washington and Lee would respond with a 12-0 run, taking a 54-37 lead after Devin Kearns knocked down a shot with 11:49 to go in the game.
- With Washington and Lee leading by 18 points at 67-49 with 7:37 to go, the Maroons staged a rally that saw them go on a 13-0 run, with eight of those points coming from Josh Freund as RC cut the W&L lead to 67-62 with just over two minutes to play in the game.
- After the Generals made one of two free-throws to make it 68-62, Freund scored a bucket and was fouled but missed the ensuing free-throw, keeping it a 68-64 game with 1:20 to go.
- Nick Price would force a steal on W&L's ensuing possession and was fouled going to the hoop. Price would make it a 68-65 contest after connecting on one-of-two free-throws.
- After getting a defensive stop, RC had a chance to tie the game with 19 seconds left but the Maroons turned the ball over and W&L would connect on 3-of-4 free-throws to seal the game.
- Freund led all players with 27 points, 16 rebounds and three steals, while Jordan scored 11 points off the bench. Tripp Greene added 10 points off the bench for RC as well.
- William Brueggeman led W&L with 18 points and six rebounds. Roy McMillan totaled 13 points and 14 rebounds for the Generals.
Up Next: Roanoke will head to Bridgewater for a 2:00 p.m. game Saturday.