Score: Roanoke 83, Mary Washington 67
Records: Roanoke 9-3 | Mary Washington 8-3
Location: Salem, Va. | Cregger Invitational
The Lead: Roanoke outscored Mary Washington 22-4 over the final five minutes of the game to secure a 83-67 win over Mary Washington in the final game of 2018 Cregger Invitational.
How it Happened
- Roanoke was led by the tournament's most outstanding player Josh Freund who had 23 points and eight rebounds. Fellow all-tournament selection C.J. Miles had 17 points, while Caleb Jordan finished with 15 points off the bench for the Maroons.
- Mary Washington jumped out to an early 13-4 lead when Johnny Cronin scored with 15:44 to go in the first-half.
- With UMW leading 19-10, RC used a 15-2 spurt, capped by a Freund bucket that made the score 25-21 Roanoke with 3:19 to play.
- Mary Washington would score 10 of the final 13 points to take a 31-28 lead into the locker room at halftime.
- The second-half was tightly contested with Mary Washington holding a five-point lead at 60-55 with 6:38 to play before back-to-back buckets by Jordan cut the Eagles lead to one with 5:50 to play.
- A Da'Shawn Cook three-pointer would put UMW up 63-59 with 5:39 left in regulation.
- With 4:45 to go, Freund scored to make it a 63-61 game and spark what would prove to be a 15-1 run over the next three minutes. The run was capped by a Jordan layup that gave RC a 74-64 advantage with 1:38 to go in the game.
- Mary Washington was led by all-tournament team members Greg Rowson who had 22 points and Cronin who had 15 points. Cook also finished with 12 points for the Eagles.
- Roanoke was 27-of-54 (50.0%) from the floor in the win, while Mary Washington was 21-of-53 (39.6%) from the field. The Maroons were 11-of-25 from beyond the three-point line, while the Eagles were 12-of-38.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back in ODAC action on Wednesday when it travels to Washington and Lee for a 7:00 p.m. game.