Score: Roanoke 77, Methodist 70
Records: Roanoke 7-3 | Methodist 4-7
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke topped Methodist 77-70 in men's basketball non-conference action in Salem on Sunday.
How it Happened
- A Garren Dearmen three-pointer made the score 27-25 in favor of Methodist with 8:19 to go in the first-half. RC responded with an 8-0 run that was capped by a Caleb Jordan foul shot that put RC in front 33-27 with six minutes to play.
- Methodist would close the half on a 13-3 run with a Kevin McLaughlin Jr. bucket sending the teams to the locker room with MU leading 40-36.
- Roanoke opened up the second-half with a 9-0 run, taking a 45-40 advantage on a Jordan basket three-minutes into the second stanza.
- The Monarchs came back and tied the game at 49. The score would change hands five times before C.J. Miles nailed a three-pointer to put RC up 57-56 and spark a 14-2 run that was capped by a Josh Freund jumper that put the Maroons up 68-58 with 5:45 to play.
- MU would trim the RC lead to 68-62 with just under five minutes to play but a layup by Joe Mikalauskas and a free-throw by Miles pushed the Maroon lead back to nine with 3:52 left.
- Methodist attempted to rally, pulling within five at 75-70 with 1:31 to play, but that would be as close as it could get as the Maroons got a pair of defensive stops and a pair of free-throws from Dillon Thomas to seal the win.
- Freund finished with 22 points and 12 boards for RC. Mikalauskas had 15 points, while Miles had 12 points and Jordan had 10. RC shot 54.9% for the game making 28-of-51 shots from the floor.
- Methodist was paced by a 19 point performance from Dante Burden. Caleb Miles had 14 off the bench and Sam Mingledoff had 10.
Up Next: Roanoke is off for the holidays and will return to action on Dec. 29 when it hosts Frostburg State at Noon in the Cregger Invitational.